Barbershops were among the businesses ordered to close in B.C. on March 21. My regular barbershop closed about a week earlier just as I realized I badly needed a haircut.
At the time, I joked that I would have to grow hippie hair. But by early April, my hair was growing wild and out of control and the extra weight was starting to hurt my neck. OK, that’s exaggerating a bit, but I wanted a cut.
Social media has been packed with memes about people giving themselves haircuts that turned out very badly. I learned as a kid that cutting your own hair is not a good idea – when I tried it in elementary school, I kept taking more off to try to even it out until I was bald. Never again.
Fortunately, my partner, Maureen, used to cut her late husband’s hair and she offered to do mine. This video shows our hair-raising adventure.
For those who want to try doing their own or having their partner do it, I’ve found a few how-to articles for both men and women:
- How to cut your own hair (men) – WikiHow
- The dos and don’t of Covid-19 home haircuts – Toronto Star
- How to cut your hair at home without ruining it – Global News
- How to give yourself a haircut during the coronavirus shutdown – USA Today
- Covid home haircuts: a bad coif is better than a bad cough – HeraldNet (Everett, WA)
- How to cut your hair at home while social distancing – Spectrum News (San Antonio, TX)
- Pandemic haircuts have begun, and they’re just as bad as you think – CTV
- Covid-19: Bangs looking out of shape, but salons closed? Book a ‘virtual haircut’ with your stylist – National Post
- How to cut your hair (or at least keep it presentable) at home – Esquire
- Tips to cope with your hair during Covid-19 salon closures – Vancouver Sun
- Should men cut their hair during the pandemic? – Ladders
- 6 tips I wish I knew before cutting my hair during the Covid-19 pandemic – SB Nation
- Yes, guys, you can cut your hair at home while barbershops are shuttered. A pro tells us how – Chicago Tribune
- How to cut men’s hair at home during the coronavirus outbreak – Newsweek